Hi everyone, it is Anthony here pecking away at the keyboard. It is after 4:00 pm Sunday here and we are done with the naps. (bummer no NASCAR racing here) We are all doing great. At 6:00 pm we will all meet as a group again to go out to a local resturant for dinner. It is always an adventure and it is always very good food.
This morning we were given a small tour of the city. One stop was a water wheel park. Running through Lanzhou is the Yellow River. The Yellow river is the second largest river in all of China. The river is also key to the exisitence of the people here in the province of Gansu.
Though not a prevelant today, the water wheel was absolutly key to the peoples' survival here in the province. Although we are in a very modern city, out side of the city is agriculture and with the little rain they receive in the province the water wheel is so important.
The Yellow river was also used as a transport route for goods. What you are looking at is a raft made from wood and inflated goat skins. Yep, believe it or not they hold up quite well. They have been using this technique for a very long time.

Dad, are you willing to give up your boat and trade it in for one of these hot little numbers? Oh, by the way they were giving rides on these things. Quite amazing don't you think?
Ok dad, if your not sure about giving up your boat just yet how about fishing in a more simpler manner. This man was fishing in one of the channels that passes by the wheels.


Up the road a little bit, in another park, we were taking in all the sights and sounds. Part of that experience was these three men along with a couple of vocalists. I have some great video footage of them performing. Yes, if you look closely you will notice that the one gentleman is playing a hand saw.

Every where we go we are mobbed by very, very friendly people. I have mentiond that in previous posts. Here is an perfect example.
Till I post again
Anthony
PS. We are having all this fun while we wait for Amandas passport and all her other paper work to be put in order.





4 comments:
What a terrific cultural experience you are having. Great pictures! How was the massage?
Theresa
Dear Anthony and Traci
It is so exciting to following you and little Anthony on this trip to Amanda. Your descriptions of China and your trip are wonderful, it makes me wish I could be there with you. Traci, you look so beautiful in the picture of you and both your babies (both absolutely gorgeous!!), I hope we get a chance to meet in person soon. Thank you again for the amazing photos of Brooks and Zhangli - thinking of me and my family during this trip of a lifetime is such a gift - I am truly humbled by your generous spirit. I am following everyone's travel logs and am sending good wishes and prayers to everyone on the trip. Stay well, keep on enjoying every moment and I look forward to seeing you soon!
Sasha
Brooks's wife/Zhangli's mama
Traci & Anthony, We've been away so I just got your "in China" news. What a beautiful child...what a beautiful family. You are just glowing. God is SO Good! You'll be in my prayers. Can't wait to see you. I'll help introduce little Amanda to Oreos...ok? Love, Linda Whiting
Sorry it's taken so long to post. We are so excited for you. Congratulations! The girls and I have enjoyed looking at the pictures. We loved the one of Anthony with his excavator. Amanda is beautiful. We can't wait to meet her. Until then...please give her hugs and kisses from us. We love you all!
Gracie wanted me to say that she missed you at the party and that she is now 6 years old!
The Flotos
Post a Comment